ROCKY RACCOON DECODED
1. Black Mountain Hills of Dakota: Americaís Bible Belt...... i.e. south and midwest.
2. Young boy named Rocky Racoon: Adult Christian parents.
3. His woman: Teenage Christian kids.
4. Ran off with another guy: Became Beatle fans.
5. Hit young Rocky in the eye: John Lennonís infamous quote angers Christians.
6. Rocky didnít like that, said Iím gonna get that boy: Christians protest, burn records, veiled threats.
7. Then one day he walked into town: Beatles came to U.S. for 1966 concert tour and faced the protesting Christians (he).
8. And booked himself a room in the local saloon: Protesting Christians appearing at every concert site (saloon).
9. Rocky Raccoon checked into his room only to find Gideonís Bible: Television newscasts at the time said that the Gideonís Bible group may have added to the protests by placing numerous additional Bibles in the Beatleís hotel rooms.
10. Rocky had come equipped with a gun: Protestors marched, carried protest signs, and burned Beatle records.
11. To shoot off the legs of his rival: To bring down the Beatles (rival)
12. His rival it seems had broken his dreams: His (adult Christians) Rival (Beatles) broken his dreams (stolen the hearts of Christian teenagers)
13. By stealing the girl of his fancy: Stealing (made fans of) the girl (Christian teenagers)
14. Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil but everyone knew her as Nancy: Her (Christian teenagers) name (any number of terms used to describe music/Beatle fans
15. Now she and her man who called himself Dan: She (Christian teenagers) and her man and Dan (Beatles).
16. Were in the next room at the hoedown: Fans and Beatles were at various Beatle concert sites.
17. Rocky came in and grinning a grin: Rocky (protestors) grinning a grin (making threats).
18. He said Danny boy this is a showdown: He (protestors) Danny (also the Beatles) showdown (protest confrontations).
19. But Daniel was hot: Daniel (Beatles) hot (at the top of their popularity).
20. He drew first and shot: He (Beatles) continued concert tour and held interviews downplaying significance of Lennonís quote.
21. And Rocky collapsed in the corner: Impact of Lennonís statement was limited to the Christian right, and so began to fade with time.
22. The doctor came in stinking of gin: Doctor (Beatles manager, Brian Epstein) stinking of gin (suffering from a severe drug habit).
23. Proceeded to lie on the table: Began issuing press statements to soften the public relations damage.
24. He said Rocky you met your match: Private opinion of the time indicated the Christian protests couldnít compete with the Beatleís popularity.
25. And Rocky said doc itís only a scratch, Iíll be better, Iíll be better doc as soon as I am able: More sober minded Christians of the time felt that the impact of Lennonís statement, and the Beatleís current influence, would eventually fade away while Christianity would remain.
26. Rocky Raccoon fell back in his room only to find Gideonís Bible: The fact of McCartney referring to Gideonís Bible twice in this song may be indicative
of 2 points;
a. A subtle hint at a significance in the double usage.
27. Gideon checked out, and he left it no doubt to help with good Rockiesí revival: With the failure of their attempts to swamp the Beatles with Bibles it would seem that the Gideonís will have returned to their original mission of getting their Bibles into public places.
At one point or another all the Beatles would issue press statements downplaying the significance of Johnís statement.
While many had the impression that this was Johnís band, it was usually Paul who tended to act as the point man in The Beatles activities. It was also Paul who seemed to be the most concerned with the Beatleís public image. In this light it seems natural that Paul would harbor serious concerns over Johnís quote, and the impact it would have on then current, and future, Beatle popularity.
It appears that hidden in "Rocky Raccoon" was a statement by Paul to the effect of, "hey everyone, John didnít mean what you all think he meant, and if weíll all just relax a bit, all of this will blow over in time with no harm done". Paul doesnít seem to have mentioned any of this in any interviews, so it seems logical that he might simply want all the memories of public outrage, protest, and personal stress relegated to the steamy mists of time.
©Written by: Lonnie R. Dawson. You can email Lonnie with any comments about this story.
Rocky Raccoon Lyrics
Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of dakota
Rocky raccoon checked into his room
Now she and her man who called himself dan
Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
Now rocky raccoon he fell back in his room
(The views expressed are not necessarily the views of Beatlesnumber9. The original title was Rocky Sassoon. Sometimes an artist is a channel of messages he or she may not even be aware of. Many lyrics can be pulled from the subconscious mind of any writer. "There is a purpose for everything" ~ #9)